Longford Comhairle na nÓg
What is Comhairle na nÓg?
- Comhairle na nÓg are local youth councils, which give children and young people the opportunity to be involved in the development of local services and policies.
- Comhairle na nÓg operates in every city and county.
- Comhairle na nÓg was established under Goal 1 of the National Children’s Strategy (2000), which states ‘Children will have a voice in matters which affect them and their views will be given due weight in accordance with their age and maturity’.
- The Local Authority is responsible for the Comhairle na nOg and is funded by the Office of the Minister for Children and Youth Affairs (OMCYA).
What does Longford Comhairle do?
- Organise an AGM at which Comhairle members are elected from the nine post primary schools and youth groups throughout the county.
- Devise a work plan for the year and identify key actions/issues members would like to address.
- Participate in team building exercises and undertake a variety of projects throughout the year.
- Prepare and attend the Dail na nÓg (the National Youth Parliament)
Longford Comhairle na nÓg AGM 2018
This year's AGM was held on Thursday 25th of October in the Longford Arms Hotel. A large number of young people attended aged between 12 and 18 years representing their schools and clubs from all over County Longford. The topics for discussion were selected by the young people. This year a questions and answers session was held with representatives from Longford County Council, Tulsa, Longford Westmeath Education and Training Board and Longford's Dail na nÓg representative. The young people were also given an opportunity to nominate new representatives for the next term of Comhairle na nÓg.
Please use the below link to view the 2018 AGM report.
Annual-General-Meeting-Report-2018-pdf.pdf (size 918.3 KB)