Welcome to Economic Development
The Economic Development section of Longford County Council encompasses a wide range of functions designed to support economic growth and prosperity in County Longford.
Through its various sections such as the Local Enterprise Office, the Regeneration and Future Planning teams and an Arts Office, it has fostered a strong enterprise and entrepreneurship culture and built an environment conducive to business development.
Longford County Council has a reputation as a pro-business county, proven in its ability to attract and accommodate enterprises as significant as Abbott Ireland and Center Parcs. It works with potential investors in a practical and supportive manner and always looks to present Longford’s strengths as an investment location.
These strengths or assets include affordable homes, quality schools, central location in the heart of Ireland and access to a skilled work-force. They help convince investors that their ambition can be realised in a county where wealth creators are highly valued and community is strongly intertwined with enterprise.
The Economic Development section is managed by Director of Services Ms. Barbara Heslin and key programmes being implemented within the section include:
- Implementation under the guidance of the Economic SPC of the economic element of the Local Economic and Community Plan (LECP)
- Provision of a wide range of micro-enterprise support services through the Longford LEO office to include financial, training and mentoring supports
- Planning for future economic development by drafting or contributing to a number of spatial plans such as town plans, regional and national plans.
- Competing for funding under regional & national programmes such as Town& Village Renewal Scheme and REDZ that allow it to deliver planned programmes that support economic regeneration and growth.
- Implementation of the County Tourism Strategy.
- Working in partnership with the Diaspora Economic Forum.
- Support for the Arts as a key societal element that underpins a creative and productive local economy.
- Implementation of the Addendum to Business Incentive Scheme (Shopfront Scheme) which provides grants of up to €700 in the form of cash or mentoring assistance and the Occupation of Vacant Commercial Premises Incentive Scheme
Please click on one of the links below for information on our services
Local Enterprise Office
Irish Point of Single Contact