Residential Tenancies Board
The Residential Tenancies Board (RTB) was established in 2004 on foot of the Residential Tenancies Act (RTA). The RTB is an agency of Government with statutory powers. The central role of the RTB is to support the rental housing market and to resolve cheaply and speedily disputes between landlords and tenants, affording protection to both parties without having to resort to the Courts.
As a statutory body, the RTB is responsible for the operation of a national registration system for all private residential tenancies and for all tenancies provided in the Approved Housing Body Sector. These are generally social rented tenancies provided by not for profit housing providers, often referred to as housing associations. One of the core functions of the RTB is also to provide for both tenants and landlords, a timely and cost effective dispute resolution service.
In addition the RTB publishes the rent index for private rented accommodation, disseminate information, carries out research and offers policy advice regarding the rental housing sector. The organisation’s mandate is clearly defined by the Residential Tenancies Act 2004 (Section 151), and can be summarised as follows:
- The resolution of disputes between tenants and landlords;
- The registration of particulars in respect of tenancies in the residential rented sector;
- The provision to the Minister of advice concerning policy in relation to the rented sector;
- The development and publication of guidelines for good practice by those involved in the rented sector;
- The collection and provision of information relating to the rented sector, including information concerning prevailing rent levels;
- The conduct of research into the rented sector and monitoring the operation of various aspects of the sector where the Board considers it appropriate;
- The review of the operation of the Act and any related enactments, and the making of recommendations to the Minister for amendments to same;
- The performance of any additional functions conferred on the Board
The Residential Tenancies Board website is www.rtb.ie. You may contact the RTB by phone, email or post; Phone: 9:00am to 5.00pm Monday to Friday - 01-702 8100 or 0818 30 30 37
Email: to the RTB should be directed to the appropriate email address;
- Tenancy Registration queries: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Dispute Resolution queries: email@example.com
Post: Residential Tenancies Board,PO Box 47, Clonakilty, County Cork.