Keep Well Campaign
Keep Well Campaign
Stay at Home Library
Everything is free and you can join the library online on the library website at www.longfordlibrary.ie.
Call 043 334 1124 Monday - Friday from 9am - 5pm.
- Thousands of the world's most popular newspapers and magazines on PressReader
- A huge selection of eBooks and eAudiobooks on BorrowBox
- All the latest eMagazines on RB Digital
- Over 100 language courses through Transparent Languages
- Almost 500 online courses with Universal Classs
Grow It Forward is a national programme to help half a million people #KeepWell by growing their own food.
In partnership with Healthy Ireland and Libraries Ireland through the Government of Ireland’s Keep Well initiative, GIY Ireland are giving away 50,000 free seed packs and asking participants to use them to share the experience with 10 people. In all, they aim to support half a million people across Ireland to enjoy the wide range of benefits that come from growing food at home.
For more information click here.
Online Tutorials, Talks & Videos
Staying connected with people and addressing isolation as person-to-person connection is important to our wellbeing.
Using Technology to Keep People Connected for Adults
Basic Digital Skills Training for beginners with Siobhan Grealy: learn how to keep connected online. Workshops tailored to the individual needs of clients.
These workshops are facilitated by tutor Siobhan Grealy on MicrosoftTeams, ZOOM andvia videos on the Library YouTube and Facebook.
Civil Defence are co-ordinating leaflet drop, packs and assisting the vulnerable in our society.
History and Heritage
County Longford Decade of Centenaries 4th-25th November.
The month of November is designated History month in County Longford and for anybody with an interest in history especially what was happening in County Longford 100 years ago in November. You can download the full programme from www.longfordlibrary.ie.
Videos associated with the programme can be viewed on the Longford Library YouTube channel.
TTRS for Children
We are delighted to announce the roll out of TTRS to our Library Members. TTRS is a highly accessible, multi-sensory course that teaches touch-typing, reading and spelling at the same time. TTRS allows children to improve their reading and spelling skills.
To sign up for TTRS please contact your local Library.
Coding Classes for Children with Siobhan Greally
Coding Classes with Siobhan will take place online through Zoom. For details of upcoming classes please contact your local library branch.
Online Quizzes for Children
Fun online quizzes for all the family. How well do you really know your books? Find out with our fun quizzes on our social media pages!
Have you enjoyed a good book lately? If so write a review of no more than 150 words and submit it to firstname.lastname@example.org. Remember to include the author and title of the book and how many stars you would give it out of five. We also need your name, age and address and we would love a photo. Your review will be posted on our website. There will be a draw at the end of the year and one lucky child will win a National Book Token.
Longford Libraries Programme for Primary Schools
This programme began on Wednesday January 27th and ran for six weeks on the County Longford Library Services Facebook page and YouTube channel. A selection of videos and workshop ideas featured each week. All videos associated with the programme can be found either on the Longford Library YouTube channel, or in the videos tab on the County Longford Library Services Facebook page.
Switching off and being creative or learning something new, getting back to nature and finding ways to relax can help our general wellbeing.
Flower Arranging and Gardening for Adults with Florist and Gardener Mary Holmes
Mary gives advice on making the most of your garden this spring. If you are craving to spend some time outdoors there is plenty to do during the spring months.
Mary guides you through pruning, planting, tidying and helping wildlife in your garden. Her videos can be viewed in the Videos tab on the County Longford Library Services facebook page.
Music and Singing: music and singing creates a sense of belonging and participation.
Angela Reynolds Music Director brings us on a weekly nostalgic trip down memory lane through favourite songs we all know and love. You can sing along to songs from Percy French, Padraic Colum, Delia Murphy, gospel music and much more. Everybody is invited to join in every Friday at 3pm from February 12th on Facebook and YouTube. You can send your requests for your song choice to Angela at email@example.com or you can telephone your request to 043331124.
All of Angela's videos can be viewed on our Longford Libraries Facebook or YouTube.
Storytime for Children
Join us for weekly stupendous storytimes with your favourite Storytellers! Check the Longford Libraries Facebook pages for more information.
By nourishing your body and mind we can positively impact our physical and mental wellbeing.
Eating healthily is a huge part of looking after our general health and keeping ourselves well. Cooking simple nutritious meals for ourselves and our families is the best way to ensure that we meet all our nutritional needs to stay healthy.
Please see below links to Safefood.eu with lots of practical eating resources for healthy and nutritious foods:
- The 101 Square Meals recipe book
- 10 ways to keep active and healthy at home
- Family meal plans for three weeks
- Healthy snack ideas
- 6 One Pot Dinners (How to make: Chicken casserole, Thai green chicken curry, Beef stew, Beef casserole, Chicken curry, Pork stir fry)
- 7 Easy recipes (How to make: porridge, an omelette, orange and carrot soup, beef stroganoff, chickpea and lentil curry, fish pie, banana bread)
The START programme encourages families with young children to adopt healthier lifestyles.
Make the most of family time - add a healthy habit today:
If you and your family would like to get more information on healthy habits check out www.makeastart.ie
Cookery - Longford Libraries Facebook page
Cookery Demonstrations with Fiona Egan Master Chef from Cloughan Farm & Cookery School Abbeyshrule
Fiona gives advice on how to prepare healthy meals for all the family on a budget. Check out her demonstrations in the Videos tab on the County Longford Library Services facebook page or on the Longford Library YouTube channel.
Keep Well Nutrition Talk with Clare Farrell
Clare Farrell will be delivering a 4 weeks programme on Nutrition and Health Habits. This will take place one hour a week for 4 weeks, participants can register via Eventbrite and will be given a zoom link.
Minding your Mood
There are many things we can do to help our mental health and wellbeing and to keep ourselves well.
Mindfulness for Adults with Pauline Rogers
Thursdays 7.30pm - 4th February to 25th March on the County Longford Library Services facebook page. Join Pauline for advice on how to protect your mental health by learning to understand your thoughts. Pauline also guides us through some short, gentle meditations.
Minding Your Wellbeing Programme - HSE Programme
Even during the winter, it is important to help physical and mental health and wellbeing
- Fit for All Resources for People with Disabilities: https://www.longfordsports.ie/what-we-do/sports-ability/
- Resource Booklet for Children with Disabilities with sports pack: This is designed with the child in mind and is super easy, colourful and fun. It come with adaptations for various disabilities and contains a record card to mark down your Fit from 6 Activities. To receive your free booklet and sports pack , contact Orla 086-6021716 or firstname.lastname@example.org to arrange a collection.
- A mail drop to older adults in our community and nursing home through local organisation collaboration supported by a video and online classes.
- Campaign around Men over 45 activities again supported by videos and resources.
- Stay Active Online Hub: The Longford Sports Partnership will be updating this section on a regular basis on recommendation and links of various recreational and sporting activities that can be done at home https://www.longfordsports.ie/what-we-do/stay-active-online-hub/stay-active-online-hub.html
Covering six sections:
- Older Adults
- Families and Children
- People with Disabilities
- Longford Sports Ambassadors
- National Development Officers
Civil Defence is continuing to support the resilience programme by delivering high vis vests throughout the county to enable people to stay active during the winter months.
More information about National Get Well campaign can be found here.