Longford Comhairle na nÓg
What is Comhairle na nÓg?
- Comhairle na nÓg are local youth councils, which give children and young people the opportunity to be involved in the development of local services and policies.
- Comhairle na nÓg operates in every city and county.
- Comhairle na nÓg was established under Goal 1 of the National Children’s Strategy (2000), which states ‘Children will have a voice in matters which affect them and their views will be given due weight in accordance with their age and maturity’.
- The Local Authority is responsible for the Comhairle na nOg and is funded by the Office of the Minister for Children and Youth Affairs (OMCYA).
What does Longford Comhairle do?
- Organise an AGM at which Comhairle members are elected from the nine post primary schools and youth groups throughout the county.
- Devise a work plan for the year and identify key actions/issues members would like to address.
- Participate in team building exercises and undertake a variety of projects throughout the year.
- Prepare and attend the Dail na nÓg (the National Youth Parliament)
Facebook:Longford Comhairle na nÓg
Dáil na nÓg 2022
Eight representatives of Longford Comhairle attended this year’s Dáil na nÓg held on Saturday the 26th of March in the Convention Centre, Dublin The event was formally opened by Roderic O’Gorman, Minister for Children, Equality, Disability, Integration and Youth. This year’s event celebrated Fiche Bliain ag Fas-20 years a growing, marking its 20th anniversary. Delegates participated in workshops throughout the day on the theme of Equality.
Longford Comhairle na nÓg AGM 2022
Cathaoirleach Cllr Turlough McGovern opened Longford Comhairle na nOg AGM on Thursday, 17 November 2022 in the Longford Arms Hotel. The AGM was a huge success with over 100 young people representing all nine post-primary schools and youth services from across the county. Discussions were held on a variety of topics selected by the young people and Cian Kennell’s were guest speakers on the day. The Cathaoirleach thanked members for highlighting issues on climate change and mental health through the projects they have undertaken in the county. He made special reference to their important role and commitment to representing the voices of young people on local and national committees.
View the Comhairle AGM 2022 report.
Longford Comhairle na nÓg Launches the H.O.P.E Bench in 2022
Comhairle members with the support of the environmental department engaged with local secondary schools to collect plastic water bottles to create a recycled plastic wheelchair-accessible bench. The H.O.P.E. Bench acronym stands for Helping Our Planet's Environment and was officially launched by Leas Cathaoirleach Cllr Paraic Brady on Friday the 29th of April on Longford Canal.
For more information please contact:
Longford County Council
Phone: (043) 334 3390