Our website uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience, analyse site traffic, personalise content, and serve targeted advertisements. Please visit our Cookie Policy page for more information about cookies and how we use them.


Housing Department

The overall aim of the Housing Policy is to enable every household to have available to them an affordable dwelling of good quality, suited to its needs, in a good environment and as far as possible at a tenure of its choice. The general strategy for realising this policy is that those who can afford to do so should provide housing for themselves and those unable to do so from their own resources should have access to social housing or income support to rent private housing. Functions

The functions of Longford County Council in relation to housing are as follows:

  • To provide and manage rented Local Authority housing for those unable to provide housing from their own resources 
  • To provide and manage accommodation for travellers 
  • To promote home ownership through tenant purchase schemes, shared ownership schemes and various loan options for those who fulfil certain criteria
  • To be a facilitator for approved voluntary or non-profit housing organisations by providing rented accommodation and facilities to enforce housing standards and controls in relation to private rented dwellings.

Homeless Services


If you are homeless, rough sleeping or at risk of becoming homeless you need to present to the Housing Office in between the hours of 10.00am and 12pm and 2 pm to 3pm. Our email address is homeless@longfordcoco.ie

Should you require assistance outside of these hours please present at your local Garda Station.

When presenting at your local housing office you will require photo identification – public service card, drivers licence or passport. You will also need to provide proof of your current income/social welfare payment – payslip from employer or Post Office.


Am I entitled to temporary emergency accommodation?

At present, in order to qualify for access to social housing supports in the Longford area, you must produce evidence of your local connection to the county. A local connection is determined having regard to the following criteria:

·         a member of your household has resided for a continuous 5-year period at any time in the area concerned; or

·         The place of employment of any household member is in the area concerned or is located within 15 kilometres of the area; or

·         A household member is in full-time education in any university, college, school or other education establishment in the area concerned; or

·         Any household member with an enduring physical, sensory, mental health or intellectual impairment is attending an educational or medical

           establishment in the area concerned that has facilities or services specifically related to such impairment, or

·         A relative of any household member lives in the area concerned and has lived there for a minimum period of 2 years.


Upon presenting at the Housing Office the Homeless Liaison Officer will complete a homeless assessment which will have regard to whether:  

·         You have a local connection to the area and whether you are registered as homeless with any other local authorities.

·         You are homeless or likely to be homeless,

·         The circumstances which contributed to your current situation 

It will then be determined if you have a priority need for temporary accommodation/access to social housing supports. 


I’m under 18, what do I do?

The Health Service Executive (HSE) will help you if you are under 18 years. If you are homeless or are at risk of becoming homeless go to your local Area Health Office and look to speak to a social worker. If that office is closed, for example it is after 5:00pm you should go to the local Garda Station and they will contact the on-duty social worker.  

Homelessness Statistics

Official homelessness data is produced by Longford County Council through the Pathway Accommodation & Support System (PASS).  The data produced captures details of individuals in State-funded emergency accommodation arrangements that are overseen by local authorities.  The Midlands Regional Homelessness Authority, as the lead local authorities for homelessness in each region, provide monthly reports on homelessness, in accordance with Departmental set guidelines which identify the number of people utilising State-funded emergency accommodation on a regional and county basis.

The 2019 and 2020 records are available on the Department of Housing, Local Government and Heritage below