Welcome to Community Development
What we do
The Community Development section has been established to facilitate the development of integrated strategies and programmes that enhance social and cultural experiences in Longford.
The section has been set up as part of the government policy on the integration of Local Government and Local Development with a core function of facilitating the Local Community Development Committee (LCDC) and the preparation and implementation of the community element of the Local Economic & Community Plan (LECP).
Key Programmes being implemented and supported within the section:
- CLÁR Scheme provides funding for small-scale infrastructural projects in rural areas.
- Comhairle na nÓg, gives children and young people the opportunity to be involved in the development of local services and policies.
- Community Enhancement Programme provides capital funding to community groups to enhance facilities.
- Community Grant Support Scheme provides community groups funding under different areas, including the arts, environment, inter-cultural and more.
- Healthy Ireland (HI) an initiative aimed at improving the health and wellbeing of everyone living in County Longford.
- Longford Age Friendly County Plan, this plan acts as a blueprint for Longford as it sets out on the road to becoming an age friendly place.
- Longford Intercultural Strategic Plan, addressing provision for the needs of the Migrant, Traveller and Roma and indigenous Irish communities.
- Longford Sports Bursary, to facilitate achievement by aspiring individual performers who have the ability and potential to bring recognition and success at National and International level.
- Property Marking Scheme, punch your EIRCODE or other identifying information onto household or farm property.
- Public Participation Network (PPN), a network that allows the local authority to connect with community groups.
- RDP (LEADER) 2014-2020 Programme supports private enterprises and community groups who improve quality of life and economic activity in rural areas. The LCDC acts as the Local Action Group and the Implementing Partner is Longford Community Resources Clg.(LCRL)
- Social Inclusion and Community Activation Programme (SICAP) aims to reduce poverty and promote social inclusion and equality. It does this through Programme Implementers, agencies and companies, who work with the most disadvantaged and the hardest to reach in communities. SICAP is being delivered in conjunction with Longford Community Resources Clg. (LCRL).