Our website uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience, analyse site traffic, personalise content, and serve targeted advertisements. Please visit our Cookie Policy page for more information about cookies and how we use them.

Housing Assistance Payment

Who is eligible for HAP?

In order to be eligible for HAP, applicants must qualify for social housing support, and be on Longford’s Housing List.

How do I apply for HAP?

Where you are approved for social housing supports you should forward a copy of your tenancy agreement to hap@longfordcoco.ie and request that HAP forms be issued to you. Forms cannot be downloaded from the website and are available only upon request.

The application comprises of two parts: Section A for the applicant to complete and return with evidence of all household income for the past four weeks and Section B which should be given to your landlord. The landlord is required to complete this form and return it to the Housing Department with the required supporting documentation.

A member of the HAP team will contact you shortly after your application where you will be notified of the outcome of your application.

Public Notice in respect of HAP tenancies

HAP Payments Update 

HAP tenants who usually pay their weekly differential rent via household budget and who now cannot due so due to recent changes in the way social welfare payments are made can pay their HAP in the following methods:

  • Online at payments.limerick.ie/hap (Your Pin No & HAP Recipient ID are Required)
  • Phoning 061-556600 (Pin No & HAP Recipient ID Required)
  • Using HAP Bill Pay Card (issued to the tenant at the start of their tenancy) in any Post Office or any shop displaying the postpoing symbol.  Your local PostPoint shop can be located on www.postpoint.ie.

Options 1 &2 are the recommended methods for paying your differential rent during the restrictive measures currently in place

In light of the COVID-19 situation and recent announcements made by Government in relation to measures being taken to combat the spread of Covid-19, HAP tenants are advised of the following information, to ensure the continuity of HAP tenancies: 

If a HAP tenant does not experience any change in financial circumstances as a result of the steps being taken to combat the spread of COVID-19, there should be no change to the operation of the scheme – HAP payments will continue to be made to the landlord and the tenant’s differential rent will continue to be collected;

If a non-HAP tenant does experience a change in financial circumstances on foot of COVID-19, those tenants should contact the Department of Employment Affairs and Social Protection and apply for the relevant supports (link to relevant web page here - https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/cb3726jobseekers-payments/

**  To offset a requirement to present in person in local authority offices, documentation received from DEASP should then be scanned / photographed and submitted to your local authority as soon as possible as proof of a change in financial circumstances;

** The possibility of local authority staffing levels being reduced may lead to delays in differential rent amounts being amended – this will not affect your HAP payment to your landlord;

** Differential rent arrears that accumulate following the submission of DEASP documentation during the COVID-19 measures will be re-assessed and rectified, as appropriate, by your local authority in due course– this will not affect your HAP payment to your landlord.

In the interests of reducing direct contact, HAP tenants should check with their local authority before presenting in person at any local authority offices, as it might be possible to carry out your business over the phone or electronically.
The Minister for Housing, Planning and Local Government recognises the additional pressures facing both landlords and tenants in relation to the Covid-19 crisis and is working with local authorities and the HAP Shared Services Centre to ensure the continuation of HAP tenancies during this period.

Housing Assistance Payment (HAP)

Housing Assistance Payment (HAP) is a new social housing support which is being introduced in Longford on a phased basis. Over time, HAP will replace Rent Supplement for those with a long term housing need. Persons applying for HAP (Housing Assistance Payment) must be a qualified housing applicant(s) before they can apply for HAP.

If you are eligible as an approved housing applicant, you must find your own private rented accommodation (within specific rent caps - see below). The Local Authority will pay the landlord directly and the tenant will pay a rent to the local authority based on the differential rent scheme. The rent will be based on your weekly household income and works in a similar way to the differential rents charged for local authority houses.


Single Shared

Couple Shared



Couple /One Parent Family – 1 Qualified Child

Couple / One Parent Family – 2 Qualified Children

Couple / One Parent Family – 3 Qualified Children









HAP Longford Contact

Please contact (043) 3343412

Email hap@longfordcoco.ie

HAP Shared Services Centre:

Please contact +353 061 556600

Additional Information:

A new Social Housing Support has been rolled out in Longford County Council with effect from 1st December 2016.