Our website uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience, analyse site traffic, personalise content, and serve targeted advertisements. Please visit our Cookie Policy page for more information about cookies and how we use them.

Rented Local Authority Housing

Building/Acquisition of Houses

Longford County Council has a housing stock of over 2100 properties ownership. Targets for new housing stock will be determined under the Rebuilding Ireland Programme and the rate of delivery in any given year is linked to location-specific demand and national housing delivery targets.  

Longford County Council will continue to meet their identified social housing provision requirements via a combination of the existing delivery schemes that are in place:

  • The construction of properties specifically by Longford County Council.
  • Acquisitions by Longford County Council of second-hand properties on the open market.
  • Portfolio Acquisitions – This related to suitable portfolios of vacant properties which can be secured by Longford County Council from financial institutions and investors.
  • Turnkeys - Longford County Council buy a new property or properties from a developer, that are ready for occupation.
  • Provision of Social Housing under Part V of the Planning and Development Acts 2000 will continue to play a role in the delivery of social housing in County Longford. Other delivery channels for social housing are likely to be more significant in terms of their potential to contribute to the social housing targets
  • Buy and Renew - Under this scheme Longford County Council can buy sub-standard properties, which have been vacant for over a year, refurbish them and bring them back into use as part of the Council’s housing stock.
  • Capital Assistance Scheme (CAS) - Provision of accommodation for persons with specific categories of housing need such as Homeless and Older Persons, People with Disabilities Returning
  • Capital Assistance Leasing Scheme – continue to assist Approved Housing Bodies to access finance from financial institutions and the Housing Finance Agency (HFA) that can be used to purchase or construct properties
  • Vacant Housing Repair and Leasing Initiative - This scheme identifies appropriate vacant privately-owned properties with the Council providing upfront financial assistance to meet reasonable renovation works and to enter long term lease arrangements with property owners.

Extensions/alterations to Local Authority Houses for disabled persons

In cases where a disabled member of a household being resident in a Local Authority house requires extra accommodation or alteration to existing accommodation to meet his/her needs, the Council may carry out such work or may offer alternative housing more suitable to the person's needs.

Remedial Works schemes

The remedial works schemes allow the Local Authority to completely renovate a street or scheme of Local Authority houses thus providing up-to- date facilities in previously sub-standard accommodation.

Application and assessment for rented Local Authority Housing

To apply for accommodation it is necessary to complete an application form which can be obtained along with full details from the Housing Office. Your application will be assessed under the " Scheme of Letting Priorities" to determine eligibility. In considering your application various reports may be sought and taken into consideration e.g. Medical reports; Health Board reports; Environmental Health Officer's report and report from other Local Authority if previously a tenant.

Transfer applications

Transfer applications from existing tenants may, also, be considered.

Housing allocations

As vacancies arise, houses will be allocated in accordance with applicants position on the waiting list as determined under the "Scheme of Letting Priorities" and the Council's "Statement of Policy on Housing Management". The "Tenancy Agreement" sets out the conditions applying to the tenancy and must be signed by each tenant or jointly by both tenants where a joint tenancy is granted.

Housing Rent system; Rent & Tenant purchase annuity collection

Rents on all houses now allocated are based on the " Differential Rents Scheme" as updated. This scheme sets minimum and maximum rents for Local Authority houses with rents charged on the basis of household income. Fixed rents still apply in the case of some very long-standing tenancies.
Longford County Council gives tenants the following options in relation to the method of paying rent or tenant purchase annuities:

  • Weekly door to door collection
  • Payment at Housing Office during office hours
  • Payment through An Post Household Budgeting Scheme for tenants in receipt of certain Social Welfare payments
  • Payment through the Money Advice and Budgeting Service (MABS).
  • Standing Orders to be deducted from Bank Accounts.