Croí Cónaithe (Towns) Fund – Vacant Property Refurbishment Grant
The Vacant Property Refurbishment Schemes is an opportunity for homeowners of vacant property dwellings to bring vacant and underused buildings back into residential use and is ensuring that existing housing stock is being used to the fullest extent possible in order to achieve a fully functioning housing market.
The Vacant Property Refurbishment Grant, funded by the Croí Cónaithe (Towns) Fund was launched on 14 July 2022 and will benefit those who wish to turn a formerly vacant house or building into their principal private residence. In order to increase the number of vacant and derelict properties being brought back into use, the Grant is being further expanded from 1 May 2023.
When the Grant was launched it was made available to eligible vacant properties in towns and villages. Following a review, a decision has been made to expand availability of the Grant nationwide to eligible vacant properties in cities, towns, villages and rural parts of the country.
- If the property is VACANT for the minimum period of 2 years and built during or before 2007, a grant of up to a maximum of €50,000 will be available for its refurbishment and the applicant's occupation as their principal private residence, including the conversion of a property which has not previously been used as residential.
- If the property is DERELICT, the total grant available for a derelict property is up to a maximum of €70,000 where the property is confirmed by the applicant to be derelict (i.e. structurally unsound and dangerous). In the case of a derelict property, an independent report prepared by an appropriately qualified professional (e.g., quantity surveyor, engineer etc.) is required to be submitted along with the application confirming that the property is structurally unsound and dangerous.
- An individual may benefit from for a maximum of two grants - one property which will be the principal primary residence of the owner for a minimum of 5 years, and one property which will be made available for rent.
From 1 July 2023, additional support under the Vacant Property Refurbishment Grant is available to support the refurbishment of vacant and derelict properties located on the islands to help bring them back into use.
The maximum rate of the Vacant Property Refurbishment Grant payable is up to 20% higher for eligible vacant and derelict properties on qualifying islands.
A list of the qualifying islands where this additional funding is available can be accessed on the Gov.ie website.
This brings the maximum grant rates for refurbishing properties on islands up to €60,000 for the refurbishment of vacant properties and up to €84,000 where the property is confirmed to be derelict. The maximum cost limits for the individual works categories are also increased by 20%.
Those applying for the grant are required to indicate on the application form if they are applying in respect of a property that will become their principal private residence or a property that will be made available for rent. This must be indicated at the outset as different conditions apply depending on the application type.
Those applying for the grant are also required to indicate on the application form if they are applying for the Vacant Property Refurbishment Grant alone or the Vacant Property Refurbishment Grant including the Derelict Property Top-up Grant.
In respect of rental properties, all landlords are required by law to comply with the standards for rental housing and ensure that their properties are fully compliant with fire safety and minimum standards regulations for rental properties. The tenancy will be registered with the Residential Tenancies Board (RTB). Clawback conditions will apply if the property is not available to rent within the ten-year period from the payment of the grant.
The grant is available to individuals or households for which the property will be their principal private residence or applicants who will make the property available to rent on the private market. It is not available to registered companies or developers. Applications can only be made by named individuals.
The level of grant payable is contingent on the works approved by the local authority and is paid on completion of the works and based on vouched expenditure following a final inspection by the local authority.
When application forms are submitted, they will be assessed, and the applicants will be notified regarding the decision that is made in respect of the application. Please note that is mandatory to have the grant application approved before the work commences.
If the approved grant is over €10,000, you will need to get tax clearance from Revenue. You can apply for tax clearance using Revenue’s online service at www.revenue.ie. If you do not have access to the internet, you can call Revenue on 1890 306 706.
You will also need to submit proof that the Local Property Tax requirements in respect of the property for which the grant is being sought have been complied with. The applicant can also find more information and apply online at How to apply for a Tax Clearance Certificate / Paying your Local Property Tax Charge.
For rental properties, proof of registration of the tenancy with the Residential Tenancies Board (RTB) must be provided to the local authority before drawdown of the grant. Evidence of annual registration of tenancy with the RTB must be submitted annually to the local authority which awarded the grant.
Please note that a Vacant Properties Refurbishment Grant can only be paid out after a legally binding commitment is entered into with regard to the registration of a Clawback Charge against the refurbished property. You are advised to seek legal advice regarding this issue at the earliest possible stage. If the Clawback arrangements do not comply it will result in the payment of any approved grant being delayed.
If you need further information, please contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Vacant Property Refurbishment Grant - Rules and Checklist
- Vacant-Property-Refurbishment-Grant---Declaration-Appendix-I-and-II.pdf (size 527.7 KB)
- Vacant Property Refurbishment Grant - Scheme Outline
- Vacant Property Refurbishment Grant - Supporting Documentation
- Vacant Property Refurbishment Grant - Frequently Asked Questions
- Vacant Property Refurbishment Grant - Application Form
- Vacant Property Refurbishment Grant - Supplier Set Up Form