Commercial Rates

Waiver of Rates - COVID-19

A waiver of commercial rates will apply to specified businesses in the final quarter of 2021.

This three-month waiver has modified criteria and accordingly is a separate, standalone waiver scheme.

Click here for further information COVID-19 Waiver of Commercial Rates Q4 2021

Rateable Valuations

All fixed property has a rateable valuation but rates are only payable on commercial/industrial properties. Rates are payable in 2 moieties or instalments each year, the first on the issue of the rate demand usually during February / March of each year, the second moiety is due on 1st July.

Rateable valuations are determined by the Commissioner of Valuation, not by the Local Authority.

Domestic rates have been remitted since 1977.

Valuation Order

Longford County Rates Revaluation

View a copy of the valuation order: Valuation Order 

Revision of Valuations

Requests for revision of valuation are normally instigated by Local Authorities, but any owner or occupier of a rateable property can apply for revision directly to the Valuation Office, provided that there has been a material change in the property since it was previously valued. For further information contact the Valuation Office Tel: 01 817 1000.

Notice of Indicative ARV for calculation of 2018 Commercial Rates

Local Government Reform Act 2014

The Local Government Reform Act, 2014 provides for a wide range of reforms to local authority functions, structures and funding, and includes a number of changes in respect of commercial rates.

New duty on owners/ratepayers in relation to a transfer of property

Section 32 of the Act places

  • An obligation on property owners, or their agents, to notify the Local Authority where an interest in a rateable property is transferred and the person liable for rates changes.
  • The person transferring the property, either the owner or occupier, must discharge all rates for which he/she is liable at the date of transfer.

Failure to notify Longford County Council of a change in interest within 14 days of the transfer date, may result in a penalty for non-compliance in that, the owner becomes liable for an amount which is equivalent to the level of outstanding liabilities (up to a maximum of 2 years liability).

This obligation comes into effect on 1 July 2014

For further information and a downloadable notification form please go to the links below. You can also contact the Revenue Collection Team, Longford County Council, Great Water Street, Longford on (043) 3343355 or (043) 3343380 or alternatively you can e-mail 

The full text of the Local Government Reform Act 2014 can be accessed at

4 Section32 FAQs V2 0

Change of ownership form 

Frequently Asked Questions

How are Rates calculated?

Rates are calculated by multiplying the annual rates on valuation, as determined by the County Council, by the rateable valuation of your property, as determined by the Valuation Office. The annual rates demand includes this information.  For example:
Valuation of property : €100
Annual rate on valuation (2012): €66.01
Rates payable : €100 x €66.01 = €6,601

Who is liable for Rates?

Rates are due by the occupier of the premises if they are entitled to occupy the premises through ownership or a lease on the day the rate is struck. The occupier is liable for the rates for the whole year irrespective of whether they remain in occupation for the duration of the year or not. If there is a change of occupier during the year, the previous occupier and the new occupier can agree on a division of the rates due between them. New occupiers of commercial premises should check if there are any rates outstanding prior to the signing of a lease as they can be held responsible for unpaid rates for up to two years previously.

What happens if I do not pay the Rates due?

Non-payment of rates is enforceable against the occupier and the subsequent occupier as a commercial debt. Where a business finds they cannot pay the rates when due, they should contact the Income Generation Unit immediately. A payment plan can be agreed which will facilitate payment over an agreed period by monthly or weekly instalment. Where a business cannot pay or refuses to pay the rates due, legal action for recovery of the rates owed will be commenced.

Can Rates be written off?

There is no basis for writing off rates due on a trading or occupied premises due to difficult trading conditions. If a business continues in operation, the rates are due and must be paid. Rates can only be written off as irrecoverable where bankruptcy/liquidation proceedings are finalised.

A business that is in financial difficulty can reduce their rates liability by making a permanent division to their property and seeking a revaluation of the subdivided premises with the Valuation Office. Provided (1) the official valuation is revised and apportioned to the subdivided premises (2) the subdivided premises is vacant and advertised as available for letting at a reasonable rent.

Are rates due on vacant premises?

Where a premises is vacant over a long period, the owner will be required annually to show that reasonable efforts are being made to let the premises at a reasonable rent. Council staff will periodically check whether a premises continues to be vacant or not.
If a premises is closed due to renovations, application can be made in writing including evidence of renovations to the Income Generation Unit seeking refund of rates paid for each whole month that the premises is closed due to renovations.

What happens if there is a change of occupier?

Where there is change of occupier, the Income Generation Unit should be contacted immediately and the new occupier details provided including occupier name/name of company, address, company registration no or PPS number, date of commencement of occupation and contact details including phone and email. Where there is any dispute as regards the occupier, a copy of the lease or proof of ownership should be submitted. A form is available from the Income Generation Unit to submit this information. Where a premises is served by a public water supply, a meter reading should be taken from the meter and submitted with the above occupier information.

Can I get my premises revalued if I feel the valuation is incorrect?

Any queries in relation to the current valuation of a premises should be directed to the Valuation Office in Dublin. If you believe the valuation of a premises is too high, the premises has not been correctly valued or there has been a permanent change to the layout of the building, you should contact the Valuation Office. The County Council does not determine the valuation of any premises, they simply collect the rates due on the premises.