Related Services

Traffic Management:

The objective of the Roads Department in this area of service is to provide for the safe and efficient movement of persons and goods on the roads network within the functional area of Longford County Council.

Licensing & Permits:

Temporary Closing of Roads: A road authority has power to temporarily close public roads for road races or other events; to permit the carrying out of works or for any other purpose. The regulations relating to the temporary closing of roads require the publication of two notices: - a notice of intention to temporarily close the road - a notice of the decision to temporarily close the road The notice of intention must allow for objections to be made in writing to the road authority within a specified period being not less than 3 days from the date of publication of the notice. The road authority must consider any objections received and not withdrawn.

Road Closure Application Form.pdf (size 116.7 KB)

Dangerous Structures, Trees etc.

There is an obligation on landowners and occupiers to ensure that roadside structures, trees, shrubs etc. do not become a danger to those using or working on a public road. A road authority under the Roads Act, 1993 may serve a written notice on a landowner or occupier requiring the carrying out of specified works within a period of time stated in the notice to ensure the safety of those using or working on a public road. A person on whom such a notice has been served may appeal to the District Court against tile notice within 14 days. The road authority may carry out the work itself in a case where a person fails to comply with a notice and may recover the costs from the landowner/occupier. The road authority may take action itself to deal with immediate and serious hazards where it is imperative that a danger be removed at once.

hedgecutting-advert-2024.doc (size 47.1 KB)

Temporary Dwellings and Unauthorised Signs:

Under the provisions of the Roads Act, 1993 a road authority may remove a temporary dwelling from a National Road. It must return the dwelling to the owner, but can seek to recoup any reasonable costs incurred by it. In certain circumstances, it is allowed to dispose of a temporary dwelling. A road authority, also, has power to remove unauthorised signs, caravans, vehicles etc. on public roads which are used for advertising, the sale of goods or the provision of services on those roads. It must return to the owner any sign, caravan etc. removed by it, however, disposal by the road authority is permitted in certain circumstances.

Extinguishment of Public Rights of Way:

Where a public right of way is no longer valid, the Local Authority has power to extinguish the right of way under the Roads Act, 1993. It must publish the proposal in a local newspaper setting out the public right of way to be extinguished, the right of the public to inspect the relevant map during a period which shall be not less than a month and the right to object to the proposal before a specified date. The Council must, also, affix a notice of the proposed extinguishment in a prominent position at each end of the public right of way to be extinguished and leave it in position for a period of not less than 14 days. It must consider any objections or representations made to it and not withdrawn.