N55 Ballymahon Main Street Improvement Works
In 2018, the elected members of Longford County Council approved Part VIII No. 46 which comprised of improvement works to the N55 through Ballymahon. The previously approved scheme included:
• A proposal to replace the existing priority junction at the Athlone Road with a roundabout.
• Proposals for dedicated cycle facilities on the N55 west of the Inny River.
The previously approved scheme did not include proposals for:
• Appropriate cycle facilities at either the Athlone Road Junction or the approaches thereto.
• Controlled crossing facilities at the Athlone Road Junction for either pedestrians or cyclists.
A general layout of the previously approved scheme at the Athlone Road Junction is provided on Drg No 19007-
Longford County Council proposes to amend the previously approved scheme as follows:
• Provide appropriate cycle facilities across the Athlone Road junction and on the approaches thereto.
• Omit the previously approved roundabout and instead construct a signalised priority junction at the Athlone Road Junction.
• Provide controlled crossing facilities at the Athlone Road junction for pedestrians and cyclists.
The works to construct the amended scheme will comprise:
• Site clearance.
• Overlay / reconstruction of the existing pavement and paved areas.
• Construction of new pavement and paved areas and embankments where required to support the new areas.
• Removal of existing wall on northern side of the junction.
• Changes to existing drainage infrastructure as required for amended kerb locations and installation of bypass hydrocarbon separators on existing surface water outfall pipes.
• Ancillary fencing, walls, gates and guardrails.
A general layout of the proposed development is provided on Drg No 19007-DR-P8-02.
Submissions with respect to the proposed development, dealing with the proper planning and sustainable development of the area, may be made by the following methods:
- Logging onto the Planning Portal by the following link and uploading your submission electronically: https://planning.localgov.ie/en/part-8/application/71152cd4-df86-11ed-b2e8-005056880cd6 to arrive not later than 11:59pm on Wednesday 7th June 2023.
- In writing to Longford County Council, headed “N55 Ballymahon Main St. Improvement Works” and addressed to Planning Section, Longford County Council, Áras an Chontae, Great Water Street, Longford to arrive not later than 4pm on Wednesday 7th June 2023.
- By email to firstname.lastname@example.org headed "N55 Ballymahon Main St. Improvement Works" to arrive not later than 4pm on Wednesday 7th June 2023.
Newspaper Notice.pdf (size 645.3 KB)
Site Notice.pdf (size 313 KB)
Report of Particulars of Proposed Development.pdf (size 164.5 KB)
AA Screening Report.pdf (size 2.7 MB)
Archaeological Assessment Report.pdf (size 12.3 MB)
Site Location Map.pdf (size 741 KB)
Site Layout Plan.pdf (size 835.3 KB)
Previously Approved Part 8 Layout.pdf (size 647.8 KB)